Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY Pottery Barn Acorn Vase Fillers


I’m obsessed with Pottery Barn! The majority of my posts so far have been about recreating their decor and designs. I’m like Rachel from Friends when it comes to Pottery Barn, except I can’t afford it! Boo.

I love that apothecary table too!
 
My latest project is to make my own version of Pottery Barn’s acorn vase fillers. Very festive for fall. I like it! However, I’m not going to spend $15.00 for a few acorns when I have a bunch in my backyard for free!

$14.99?! Really?!


So I spent a few minutes collecting acorns and acorn tops from my backyard. I wasn’t sure how much I would need to fill a vase, so I collected an entire boxful. Next I cleaned off the dirt from the acorns and threw away the ones that were cracked or had holes in them. 
 
I baked the acorns for two to three hours at 250 degrees to kill anything and everything (weevils!) that might still be in living in the acorns. Not interested in any pets thank you. Every hour or so flip the acorns over so they don’t burn. 

Yummy!
 
The next night I flipped on the TV and went to work hot gluing my acorn tops back onto the acorns. This was time consuming, but watching White Collar hottie Matt Bomer run around chasing art thieves made time fly.


 
Next I sprayed both sides of the acorns with Krylon Satin Finish spray. This took away the dullness, and gives the acorns a shiny look.


It took a lot of acorns to fill my vase, so I put a empty toilet paper roll in the middle of the vase to help fill some space and placed the acorns around it.

Ready for fall!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment